Our editors research, test, and recommend only the best products we can find online. Bootratings.com may receive a commission if you purchase through one of our links.
Table of Contents
Choosing the best hunting socks for your feet is important.
Some gear may be more essential to hunting, but no one wants to go home empty handed because their feet were cold, sore, or uncomfortable.
The Best Hunting Socks
While the “best socks” is subjective, we have considered all the factors including:
- Thickness and padding
- Moisture wicking
- Warmth vs. cooling
- Boot size and types
And after extensive research, here are the top options for high quality hunting socks.
If you want EVEN MORE warmth, check out our reviews of the best heated socks.
Smartwool PhD Hunting Medium Crew Sock
An all-time favorite, the Smartwool PhD caters specifically to hunters.
Keeping your feet temperature-regulated and dry, these socks are designed with a heavy cushion that offer significant impact absorption as well as mesh vents for proper circulation on long hikes out on the trail.
The Indestructawool™ technology and itch- and stink-free benefits of the soft and breathable Merino wool bland make this one of our top choices.
- Sock Height: Crew (8.5″ overall height)
- Body-mapped mesh zones for added breathability
- Virtually Seamless™ toe for enhanced comfort
- Achilles strap provides extra protection and warmth
- Extra stretch in leg accommodates wide range of boot heights
- Made in USA of Imported Yarn: 66% Merino Wool, 32% Nylon, 2% Elastane
Upgrade your boots with personalized insoles from treadlabs.com!
⭐ Read our full review of Treadlabs insoles
Darn Tough Hunter Boot Midweight Hunting Sock
A mid-calf sock that offers added protection and warmth definitely makes a sturdy companion for any hunter.
The merino wool blend offers fast action wicking that pulls moisture away from skin, keeping your feet dry and odorless.
All weather performance keeps you cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The fine gauge knitting and ribbed arch support makes this hunting socks a worthy partner in the woods.
- Sock Height: Sits mid-calf
- Performance Fit: No slipping, no bunching, and no blisters
- Cushion: Mid-level cushion density under foot
- Fine Gauge Knitting: Unprecedented durability and our unique “put it on, forget it’s on” feel
- Fast Action Wicking: Pulls moisture away from skin. Fast drying
- All Weather Performance: Cool in the summer, warm in the winter
- Naturally Antimicrobial: Repels bacteria and odor
- Merino Wool: The ultimate fiber for breathability and comfort in all conditions
- True Seamless™: Undetectable seam fusion for an ultra-smooth, invisible feel
- Guaranteed For Life: No strings. No conditions. For life
- Made in Vermont
Cabela’s Treestand Socks for Men
Cabela’s Treestand Socks feature stretch fibers from top to toe for a snug and comfortable fit. Made from a merino wool blend, these socks are moisture-wicking and will keep your feet dry and warm.
Fully cushioned construction and double nylon reinforced impact areas make these socks ideal for hunting on foot or from a stand.
- Sock height: mid-calf
- Fully cushioned construction
- Stretch fibers from top to toe for snug fit
- Moisture-wicking performance
- Double nylon reinforced impact areas
- 81% merino lamb’s wool, 10% stretch nylon, 7% Thermolite, 2% spandex
Relax your feet and calves at the end of the day with the Cloud Massager.
LIMITED TIME: $120 OFF with code: RELAX
$50 OFF on ALL 1st Orders w/ Promo Code: FIRST50
Carhartt Arctic Wool Sock
The Carhartt Arctic Wool Boot Sock is an excellent choice for cold temperatures since it will shield you from the cold of winter.
This crew-cut style sits at the calf, incorporates FastDry technology to wick away sweat, and provides thermal regulation and odor protection.
Featuring a reinforced toe and heal with a deep heal pocket, this sock is an excellent choice for rugged, cold-climate activities.
- Sock height: crew
- FastDry® technology wicks sweat and fights odors
- Non-binding stretch top
- Reinforced heel and toe help protect against blisters
- Spandex and venting reduce bulk at the ankle for comfort
- 74% wool / 10% polyester / 9% nylon / 6% acrylic / 1% spandex
- Made in the USA
Choosing the Best Hunting Socks
When it comes to finding the best hunter boot socks, we have some quick suggestions.
The first step is to match the right hunting socks with the right hunting boots. If your boots aren’t at 100%, check out our reviews of the best hunting boots.
Find great boots and Western wear at Ariat
First off, stay away from synthetics.
Synthetic fibers work well for other clothing, but when it comes to keeping your feet dry, odorless, and comfortable, wool or a wool blend is far superior for the most comfortable socks.
There are many different wools and wool blends to choose from, but merino wool tends to be most commonly used as well as the most affordable.
Because wool doesn’t get wet and breathes well, it makes for the warmest socks and the coolest socks, depending on the season.
When it comes to picking the correct height of your hunting socks, consider the height of your boot.
Mid-calf or over the calf socks work well for taller boots, whereas crew socks are perfect with a mid-height boot and is more versatile when used for other occasions.
Most of our recommended socks also come in other heights to match your boots.
When it comes to a good pair socks for hunting, even though some socks are marketed by gender, most socks are actually gender neutral and can be worn my both men and women without issues.
One last tip… whenever you head out into the great outdoors, it makes sense to pack an extra pair of socks for emergencies.